Photo owner Jaganjac – Link
The National Park Mljet is located on the island of Mljet, which is situated in the southern part of the Croatian Adriatic Sea. The park covers an area of 54 square kilometers, of which one-third is a protected marine area. It is known for its stunning natural beauty, including dense pine forests, crystal-clear lakes, and scenic hiking trails.
The park is home to two saltwater lakes, Veliko and Malo Jezero, which are connected to the sea by narrow channels. Visitors can swim in the lakes, rent kayaks, or take a boat tour to explore the lakes and their surrounding areas. The lakes are also home to several small islands, including the island of St. Mary, which has a 12th-century Benedictine monastery.
The park’s landscape is characterized by lush vegetation, including holm oak and Aleppo pine forests, as well as Mediterranean maquis and grasslands. The park is also home to a range of wildlife, including several species of birds, reptiles, and amphibians, as well as a population of wild boar.
There are several hiking trails in the park, ranging from easy to more challenging, that offer stunning views of the surrounding landscape. One of the most popular hikes is the trail that leads to the Odysseus Cave, which is said to be the spot where the mythical hero was held captive by the nymph Calypso.
There are several restaurants and snack bars in and around the park that serve traditional Croatian cuisine, including fresh seafood, grilled meats, and local cheeses. There are also several hotels and guesthouses in the nearby towns of Pomena and Polače that offer comfortable accommodation for visitors to the park.
The National Park Mljet is a peaceful and scenic destination that offers a unique combination of natural beauty, cultural heritage, and outdoor activities. Whether you’re interested in swimming, hiking, or simply relaxing in a beautiful natural setting, the park is sure to offer a memorable experience.
Photo owner Jaganjac – Link
There are several hotels and restaurants in and around the National Park Mljet, ranging from luxury hotels to more budget-friendly options. Here are a few examples:
- Hotel Odisej: This hotel is located in the town of Pomena, just a short walk from the entrance to the national park. The hotel offers comfortable rooms, a restaurant, a bar, and a swimming pool.
- Hotel Dubrava: This hotel is located in the town of Polače, which is also close to the national park entrance. The hotel offers modern rooms with balconies, a restaurant, a bar, and a swimming pool.
- Restaurant Kanoba Ana: This restaurant is located in the town of Pomena and offers a range of traditional Croatian dishes, including fresh seafood, grilled meats, and local cheeses. The restaurant has a large outdoor terrace with views of the harbor.
- Konoba Antika: This restaurant is located in the town of Polače and offers a range of Mediterranean-inspired dishes, including fresh seafood, pasta, and pizza. The restaurant has a cozy indoor dining area and a large outdoor terrace.
- Konoba Porta: This restaurant is located in the nearby village of Saplunara, which is known for its sandy beaches. The restaurant offers a range of traditional Croatian cuisine, including grilled meats, fresh fish, and homemade pasta.
Visitors to the National Park Mljet can enjoy a range of accommodation and dining options, from luxury hotels to more budget-friendly options, as well as a variety of traditional Croatian cuisine and refreshments. Many of the hotels and restaurants in the area offer stunning views of the park’s lakes and forests, making for a memorable and enjoyable experience.